September 2017 FREE BOOK!

I’m honored to offer as our September Free Book AND HERE 100 Years of Upper Peninsula Writing 1917-2017, released by Michigan State University Press and edited by Ronald Riekki. I’m also honored to have an excerpt from my novel Mother Earth Father Sky and a section introduction included in the book. I will sign both locations in our give-away trade paperback copy.

From the back cover, “Upper Peninsula literature has traditionally been suppressed or minimized in Michigan anthologies and Michigan literature as a whole. These people and this place are strongly made up of traditionally marginalized groups such as the working class, the rural poor, and Native Americans, which adds even more insult to the exclusion and forced oppressive silence. AND HERE . . . gives voice to Upper Peninsula writers, and in doing so forcefully insists on the geographic and literary inclusion of the U.P. — on both the map and the page.”

To have your name included in our Wednesday, September 13, 2017, drawing, just answer this question: Have you ever lived in or visited Michigan’s Upper Peninsula?

(Photo used with permission from Michigan State University Press)

This entry was posted in Books, Books I Love, Free Books!, Sue Harrison Blog, Writers, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to September 2017 FREE BOOK!

1. Jolene Petticrew says:

not yet 😊

2. Oh, yes! My dad was born in Iron River, and as a child we visited there many times (I was raised in upstate NY). Then for my dad’s 50th high school reunion, he invited family (we moved to NorCal) to stay on Ice Lake outside Iron River. We had a wonderful week of visiting there and seeing the places of his youth.

3. suehar says:

Iron River is such a beautiful area, Janet!!

4. suehar says:

One of these days, Jolene, you have to make it to Michigan!!

5. I spent the first dozen years in DeTour Village then my family moved to Cedarville when I was starting 9th grade. Moved to Dallas when I finished college and been here ever since but I visit as often as possible.

6. suehar says:

Pitko is a very well-known and respected name in my neck of the woods, Allison!

7. Corki Brady says:

Born and raised in Sault Ste Marie. Family life in UP goes back at least four generations.

8. suehar says:

That’s amazing, Corki. 4 generations! Wow.

9. Diann Schaefer says:

I grew up in Pickford. Don’t get back often enough.

10. Hello Sue Harrison,

I hope you remember me after all of these years and after attending the Bay de Noc Writer’s conference so long ago. I was the poet and you the fiction writer. I still regret not having save your manuscripts from that time. I had them for a long time but lost them when I moved after college. As you know, I started out living in Escanaba, then to Marquette, and now I live in Lansing, but I come back at least three times a year to see my daughter who lives in Marquette. I hope you are doing well. Rosalie

11. I have never been in Michigan but I hope to some day !

12. suehar says:

If you do, Brenda, prepare to see huge expanses of water! Inland seas for sure.

13. Wandalee Rumler says:

Oh Yes! I lived in Pickford, Mi from May 1969 to November of 1972.
    My first son was born at the Kinchole Air Firce base in May of 1972.
    It was some of the most wonderful years of my life. I went to the Pickfor United Methodist Church. I met people there that forever will be a place in my heart. My Dearest friend Sue Harrison and her husband Neil still share visits and treasured memories. The beauty of the Upper Pensulia cannot be put into words and the people
    Are extra special. I will always be thankful for my time in the UP.

14. suehar says:

And we will always be grateful that you’re a part of our lives, Wanda Lee!!

15. Greg Van Dussen says:

Yes! We had the joy of traveling up the Bruce Peninsula and across Manitoulin Island to visit friends (hmm – seems like the name was Harrison!) in Pickford and along the St. Mary’s River. Got to visit the laker museum at the Sioux but had no success at all on a fishing expedition. It was an opportunity to appreciate the distinctive geography and culture of a very special region

16. suehar says:

I remember that long ago visit, Greg!! What a fun time with you and Jackie. Your guitar playing was a huge inspiration to Neil and he still prefers that lovely finger style playing!

17. Bonnie Cottrell says:

Yes, we lived in Rudyard from 1966 to 1984. We have fond memories of the UP.

18. DiAnn Firack says:

Yes, have lived in Michigan my entire life. My family has been in the Upper Penninsula since the 1880’s.

19. Beverly moto says:

20. Judy Adams says:

All of my Childhood was spent in the UP.. left to go to college and married a troll and have lived under Da Bridge ever since.

21. Mary says:

Have you ever lived in or visited Michigan’s Upper Peninsula?

No, I wish I did though. My father was born in Michigan and adopted in West Virginia o I want to learn more about Michigan.

22. Mike Braem says:

23. Sandee Raappana says:

Yes – born and raised in Michigan’s beautiful UP. Left for a short time, but returned as quickly as possible. No better place to be.

24. Patti says:

Yes, born and raised a troll but now a forever Yooper!

25. Katie I Leach says:

Yes. Born and raised in Sauly Ste. Marie, currently reside im Pickford now for 25 years.
    I have been to Iron Mountain. BarkRiver, Escamaba, Marquette,
    Mochagaumee, Engadine, Newberry. Trout Lake,
    St. Ignace, Gladstone, DeTour, Moran, Stalwart. Goetzville.,

26. Beckie says:

Yes, I’ve lived on Drummond Island, and in Sault Ste. Marie, MI. I visit Iron Mountain regularly to go to the VA Hospital. With Boy Scouts I’ve canoed the Two Hearted River and cannoned out many times enjoying the beautiful Upper Pennisula. My children are both toppers, and I’m a trooper since surviving many winters up there. Including being snowbound in 1996. I enjoy many u.p. Authors including you, Kathryne Bailey Lowe, Nancy Bailey, and Jill Lowe Brumwell to name a few.

27. Trish says:

Sue I sure would love to visit Michigan & meet you. Your country is so very different from mine.

28. Stella Allen King says:

No I have not, hope to travel the states some day …

29. suehar says:

I’d love to meet you, too, Trish!!

30. suehar says:

Beckie, it’s so great to know you read U.P. authors!! And I’m jealous! You canoes the Two Heart? Wow!!

31. suehar says:

Katie, you know the U.P. very very well!! And I’m really glad that I know you!!

32. suehar says:

Patti, I was born a troll, too, but I’m so glad to be a Yooper now!!

33. suehar says:

We did the same thing, Sandee. A short time out of the U.P. after we completed college, and then right back again!!

34. suehar says:

Judy Adams, you still have the U.P. accent, I see!! hahaha

35. suehar says:

What a perfect way to research your roots, Mary!!

36. suehar says:

You’re like my husband, DiAnn, about a 5th generation Yooper. That is so incredible.

37. nancy Smith says:

No Sue i have Never been There. 🙂

38. kriss mason says:

Live in Sault Ste. Marie

39. suehar says:

I do remember you, Rosalie. Those were such fun conferences!!